Wednesday, July 20, 2011

L'Amour Fou


"L'Amour Fou". "Crazy Love" in English. This is a film documenting the life and death of Yves Saint-Laurent, his relationship with Pierre Berge, and the sale of their vast art collection. I speak some French, have visited  France, and have a particular fondness for the French people (they're much friendlier than people would have you believe), so I am inclined to like French movies in general, but I think this one stands on its own. For one thing, the lives of Yves Saint-Laurent and Pierre Berge are really interesting. I mean, Warhol painted a picture of Saint-Laurent's dog. Normal people can't say that they've experienced that kind of a life. And for another thing, it's just a beautiful movie. If you like art and/or fashion, there's plenty of both in this movie to leave you a bit in awe. So, if you feel like having a lazy day or want to get artistically inspired, I'd recommend watching this movie. I mean, I watched it twice today and enjoyed it both times. Might be a bit eccentric--luckily I'm an actor, so I can be as eccentric as I want and no one says anything.


Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the movie:


"I have lived for my work and through my work."--Yves Saint-Laurent


"I have for a long time believed that fashion's role was not simply to make women more beautiful but also to reassure them, give them confidence, and allow them to assert themselves."--Yves Saint-Laurent


"The artist sees things for us."--Pierre Berge


"Fashion is not a poor cousin of artistic creation."--Jack Lang 


Here are some of Yves' beautiful sketches: 






à bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear what you guys think! Kisses.