Thursday, July 7, 2011

Book of the Foreseeable Future

Hey all! So I told you I would be doing sporadic book recommendations/ reviews and the time has come for another Book of the Foreseeable Future: On the Road by Jack Kerouac. 


I decided to read this book knowing full-well I was at the risk of being labeled "hipster". But honestly, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. A few friends said it was a great adventure book and really inspiring, so I went into it with high expectations. 

And I gotta say...not that great. First, I'm going to preface this by saying I'm sure it was revolutionary for its time (it was written in the 50's and I'm sure was terribly scandalous) and perhaps it describes a particular segment of the population at that time blah blah blegh idontcare. Here's how I look at it: if I have to force myself to read 250 out of the 310 pages, it's not a good book. I need not rant, but the writing style coupled with unlikable characters and no plot, made for some rough reading. If you want to read about the "beat generation", then by all means, pick this book up, but honestly, I'd save myself the trouble if I were you. 

Lauren's Book Rating: 1.6 hangnails out of 10 rotten tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear what you guys think! Kisses.