Thursday, June 23, 2011

Basil Watermelon Cooler

With the excess of basil growing in my backyard and the delicious watermelon in my fridge, this seemed like a lovely marriage of flavors. This drink makes me wish I was sitting on a porch in the old South on a rocking chair enjoying the hot night air. Maybe the sound of the neighbor's harmonica is wafting through the air. At sunset. While I'm wearing a loose cotton dress to keep the heat away. Just to paint a little picture. No big deal.


Basil Watermelon Cooler

Ingredients:
2 parts Grey Goose vodka
3 large basil leaves (and a little extra if you want to be fancy and garnish the thing)
1 slice peeled ginger
1-2 chunks of watermelon
1/2 part simple syrup (just boil one part water to one part sugar, let it cool, and you win)
1/2 part fresh lime juice
splish splash of ginger ale

To Assemble:
In a cocktail shaker, muddle the basil leaves with the ginger, 1 watermelon chunk, and the simple syrup. Add ice, vodka, and lime juice. Shake well and strain into a glass filled with ice. Top with a bit o' ginger ale. Garnish as you see fit (just stick the whole watermelon right in there).

I do declare that is the finest drink I done had in a fortnight.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear what you guys think! Kisses.