Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Marriage Performance Art?



May 2011 - 120 Model Tableau Vivant - Skylight One Hanson from Sarah Small's Tableau Vivant on Vimeo.

This is a wedding vow renewal turned nude performance art.... Yup.

Okay, I watched all 26 minutes of this thing, and I still have no idea how I feel about it. It's definitely the oddest thing I've ever seen. So much of it makes absolutely no sense at all. The nakedness. And the singing. And yet there's something really genuine about the whole thing. This would take a lot of bravery, I think. Like, I don't understand how this has anything to do with renewing your love for another person, and yet you can feel the love in the room when they are doing the ceremony. Everyone did seem to be very involved in the couples' happiness. Maybe that's what struck me. The involvement and commitment it took to support someone else's marital commitment. Normally, in ceremonies of any kind, the friends and family sit along with everyone else as bystanders and watch the action. But these people were in it. Like mentally/emotionally/spiritually/physically in it.

I can't imagine being one of these people, having this really outrageous experience, and then putting my clothes back on and leaving the building to walk around like it was just a normal day.


I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it. I think it's time for some food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear what you guys think! Kisses.