Friday, October 11, 2013

A Little Dark

Happy Halloween! Have you started thinking about Halloween costumes? I have! (And I have been since August...it's a little embarrassing, but I really wanted to get a jump on it.) 

I have a little hypothesis about Halloween costumes. I'm not a psychiatrist or theorist of any kind, but in my musings, I've decided--and maybe this is obvious-- that Halloween costumes are indicative of a person's mental/emotional state. But perhaps this is only true of creative people. "Slutty kitty" is often overused and probably just indicates the need to feel sexy. Or a guy who plays a jock or a cop might be craving a little power. But some costumes go a little deeper. In this regard, a skeleton costume might indicate a person who feels "bare bones". Or a "slutty Book of Mormon" character might reveal the pathology of someone's struggle with sex and religion. Or a girl choosing to be "Lisbeth Sander" or "Lara Croft" shows a girl who wants to be powerful and a little dark.

This is all inconsequential, of course, because it's good for people to live in the extremes of themselves for a while. It's healthy to play the part of someone who can't be fully revealed in our everyday lives. 

It's just interesting to think about... 

So what are you going to be for Halloween this year?










Photos courtesy of Debra Oliver, flickr, Fox News, grayflannelsuit.net, unknown, wikimedia, winteriscoming.net, brevard, and unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear what you guys think! Kisses.